Monday, January 01, 2018

First steps for RED January


MORNING LIGHT: Early morning street scene
near the start of my first RED January walk.
WELL, if nothing else I've achieved one goal this morning - to be out 'doing something' on Day One of the New Year. I've taken my first steps in the RED January project.

Last year, on January 1, I was staring at a cold wet uphill road in Coventry about to begin training for the city's Half Marathon.

HI VIZ: Seen in the dark!
I was hoping to have done the same this year, but a hamstring injury followed by an insect bite behind my right knee on the same leg, which became infected, have scuppered all running and walking for several weeks.

I've become more couch potato than runner bean! (Groan!)
SEEING THE LIGHT: Street lamp
shines on the starting point.

One thing I wanted to do, though, was to walk, run - crawl if necessary - on the first day of the year.

I'm still having treatment for both hamstring and insect bite. The hamstring physio has been put on hold until the bite wound has fully healed. So there'll be no running any time soon! And I have to be 'sensible' - however challenging that might be! I can't afford to overdo it, and risk creating even longer-term problems.

However, the RED January project provides an ideal opportunity to ease back into physical activity and raise money for Mind, the Mental Health Charity, at the same time.

I must confess, I signed up to RED January with a more optimistic than realistic assessment of how the healing would be progressing. Inevitably, although doing well and going in the right direction, it's not happening as quickly as I was hoping. You can't rush these things!

ALL SET: Lamp post marks the start of the walk.
For a while after signing up, I did think: 'Oh heck, what have I done?' as I weighed up the reality -and feasibility - of actually honoring the commitment. Yet at the same time, it's an opportunity to build exercise into what I'm regarding as my 'fitness rehab,' and support a good cause at the same time.

I also learned last night that a very dear, lifelong friend has passed away. He's around the same age as me. His passing was unexpected and has been a shock. It gave me even more incentive to get out and get moving this morning.

My RED January, which I had inwardly dedicated to a late brother, has now also become a tribute to my friend.

So, my goal is to complete a minimum of 200 miles by the end of the month. Most will probably be walking, although I hope to be back into running at least later in the project. An additional twist is the cycling! I haven't ridden a bike for decades, but my son has given me his (very nice) old one after investing in a newer model.

I don't yet possess a helmet, and as for understanding the gears, I might as well be trying to crochet with tinned spaghetti!

But that's the point. RED January is about getting out and being active each day. It's a new project, for a new year, and an opportunity to take on new challenges.

For me that will be mostly walking, hopefully some running - and, with luck, re-learning how to push those pedals (and change those gears!).
ON COURSE: Don't think I'll try for London on this occasion.

So Day 1 activity is completed, now just 30 left to do!

If you would like to donate to Mind, and support my 200-mile challenge, then please visit my (Just Giving page (here) and hit the donate button.

Thank you - and Happy New Year!

Now then, where can I buy a good helmet . . . and do you push those levers down to go uphill or up to go downhill . . . oh, and where's the brake?

SAFE CROSSING; Keeping an eye on the road.

DAY 1: First walk of the RED January project.




































2 comments: